Sunday, February 11, 2007

Dim Sum - "A Little Bit of Heart"


Today I met up with some friends for dim sum, a traditional Chinese 'brunch' of dumplings and other small steamed and fried foods. I once had dim sum way back in High School but don't remember it much. I had it again when I went to Asia, first in Hong Kong, which is known for their dim sum, and then again in Beijing. I loved it!!!! Similar to Spanish Tapas, I love when everyone at the table shares a little bit of everything. I'm also a big fan of being able to try a little taste of lots of different things!


Dim sum can be a little overwhelming to the English-speaking diner! The descriptions in English are pretty vague. I was lucky enough to go with some Chinese friends who knew exactly what to order (and how to pronounce it!!!). We also went to a great place that I'd recommend to any of you who are new at Dim Sum. The place was called Our Place Cuisines of China (3rd Ave. btw. 81st and 82nd Sts.). I have to say that it not being in Chinatown took away some of my fears of being overwhelmed. Everything was delicious, and the menu was simple to read. My favorites today were the roast pork buns (both the steamed and the baked ones), the red-bean sesame balls, and the chicken sticky rice (that comes wrapped in some sort of leaf!). I also loved the su long bao, which are like pork dumplings but have a pocket of delicious juice that bursts in your mouth. I also liked the very traditional dishes like the beef and shrimp wrapped in a big rice noodle (sort of looked like a manicotti). Delicious tea (a blend of chrysanthemum and jasmine) completed the experience. The price was incredibly reasonable; we left stuffed and ended up shelling out a mere $12 per person. I highly recommend that you give dim sum a try: it's a great get-together for friends.

2 comments:

Brian said...

I love Dim sum! It is one of my favorite foods...but I can only seem to get it when we go to this Chinese buffet in Salem.

Princess B said...

Mmmmm dim sum....
*drool*

My friend Mark took me to Chinatown for my 1st dim sum and I loved it. It also helped that he can speak Chinese and was getting his PhD in Chinese culture.

And whenever I go to Victoria's Seafood with him we get served much faster than when I'm not with him.