Tuesday, May 8, 2007

I Ain't No Itzhak Perlman...


Earlier in the year, when our school's music department emailed the faculty with the idea to end the music season with a big number that included band, orchestra, and chorous, and that also featured faculty members, I thought "what the hay? It could be fun" and I signed myself up. If there's one thing I've learned this year, it's to think twice before 'signing up' for anything.


A week before the concert, I very bashfully approached the orchestra teacher and admitted to her that not only had I not practiced the piece she had put in my mailbox weeks ago, but that I no longer had a violin (my cousin is borrowing it). My hopes these excuses would get me out of my commitment were soon crushed when she told me with gentleness (a gentleness that only orchestra teachers possess) that had extra violins, and she switched me over to the less intense "Alternate Violin" (aka second violin) part. I was invited to join the ensemble's rehearsal during 6th period.


Turns out, I had a blast. The kids were thrilled to see me join them, and everyone asked, "YOU play the violin?!" . It felt so good to pick up the instrument again. Also turns out that I am TERRIFIED of the band teacher, who will be the conductor for this joined ensemble. At one point, I actually thought that I was going to get yelled at! But anyways, so here I find myself, practicing in my apartment to "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". The beat is pretty easy: mostly just half and quarter notes, but the hard part is that there's a bunch of flats. I can't believe how much of my memory is still sharp in terms of reading music and translating it into fingering. The only bad thing: The violin has obviously been in storage for a little too long because it reeks of moufa (that moldy smell that resembles wet towel for those of you who don't speak Italian-American slang). And now my neck and shoulder also smells of moufa.


Well, Monday night is my big night.... for anyone who'd like to see, it's at 7:30 in the auditorium.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Yeah, I tried to get out of a singing concert myself at the school using similar excuses...it never works.