Saturday, May 26, 2007

Review: Paris je t'aime

Last weekend, I headed out to the beautiful Paris Theatre in New York. What I love about this theatre is that it's a real old-fashioned theatre, showing one movie at a time and with a balcony. Of course, it's completely re-done with cushiony seats and plush carpeting. We went to see "Paris je t'aime", which translates into 'I love you, Paris.'

The movie was composed of 20 short films, each taking place in a different district of Paris, and each by a different filmmaker (Wes Craven and the Cohen Brothers to name two). The stories encompassed the cultural characteristics of the districts and the people who live there. Most were spoken in French, with English subtitles, but some big-name American actors and actresses were also featured. Stories varied in genre, mood, and atmosphere, with some lighthearted, some darker but all revolved around the theme of love. There was even a vampire story in the mix.

Some more recognizable actors included: Juliette Binoche, GĂ©rard Depardieu, Willem Dafoe, Nick Nolte, Natalie Portman, Steve Buscemi, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Elijah Wood.

I truly enjoyed this movie. It took a few films for me to adjust to how short each segment was. Once I did, I looked forward to the start of each story. This is the perfect movie for people who like to reflect and discuss movies after they see them: my greatest enjoyment was comparing and contrasting the films with my friends, and discussing possible endings to each vignette.

No comments: