Saturday, June 16, 2007

A New Therapy

I, loathing any activity that induces sweating (I've concluded that I'm allergic to my own sweat), never understood those people that, when under circumstantial stress, declare "I need to take a run..." How something as begrudging as taking a run could actually be desirable and mind-clearing is totally mind-boggling to me. Or should I say, WAS mind-boggling to me. Tonight, I had the unfortunate displeasure of being upset about something. Feeling absolutely suffocated in my apartment, I suddenly had the urge to run. Out the door I went, and I only ended up running for a block or so before switching over to a brisk walk. The fresh air felt so good, and I couldn't get enough of it into my lungs.

I eventually found myself at a playground, and I decided to take to the swings. It was dusk at this point and the place was empty. I couldn't believe how easily the movements came back to me and after a few swings, I was soaring high. Swinging up high was totally thrilling and invigorating, and made me feel free (and like a second grader again). Music from the Beatles, Radiohead, and Cat Stevens streaming from my ipod calmed me and helped me to think clearly. And yes, I've considered the irony that a mental health professional such as myself has found a run/walk and a swingset to be the ultimate therapy....

No comments: