Saturday, January 27, 2007

Review: Picasso and American Art


Today I checked out the Picasso and American Art exhibit at the Whitney Museum of American Art. The focus of this exhibit was to show the influence that Picasso and his works had on American painters (Max Weber, Willem de Kooning, Jackson Pollock, and Roy Lichtenstein, amongst others - Lichtenstein's painting is here on the left). Overall, this was a great exhibit for those of us who don't intuitively make relationships between painters and works. The influences were very clear.


While I enjoyed and appreciated the focus of this exhibit, I was sad to see that it mainly focused on Picasso's works in cubism. Though I do appreciate Picasso as an artist, my interest lies in his earlier works; I'm not a big fan of cubism. This disappointed me and made the exhibit less appealing than I had originally hoped. Overall, if you like cubism, you'd probably love this exhibit. If not, it's okay to miss this one! Tomorrow is its last day at the Whitney, but you can catch it as it travels to San Francisco and Minneapolis.
My day was capped off with dinner at Sala 19, a tapas restaurant (same Sala as the one in the Bowery). This restaurant never disappoints... it can't get much better than dates stuffed with almonds and wrapped with bacon!

No comments: