Friday, June 8, 2007

At the Beach

Today, we took select students on an annual field trip to Lido Beach. Lido Beach is on the south shore of Long Island in Nassau County. The weather was so-so; the temperature was perfect (warm with a cooling breeze) but it was overcast and foggy. The water's temperature was surprisingly warm once you got in there! I only went up to my knees, but the crashing waves ended up splashing me pretty much everywhere! The kids had a great time; it was so nice to see them relax and have the opportunity to be kids.

I realized when I was at the beach that, even though the beach is not one of my favorite places (it's hot, the sand is annoying, saltwater burns my shaven legs, and I detest how I look in a bathing suit), I don't think that I could ever live more than a few miles away from the ocean. I have always been able to smell the ocean from my front door on a hot, muggy night. And there's something about going to the beach on a warm summer evening, just feeling the saltwater air on your skin and lips. It's amazing how being so close to the water is so ingrained in me; something that I never really thought about until now. Here's to the Atlantic!

No comments: