Sunday, June 3, 2007

Not as Young as I Used to Be....

This past Friday, my brother invited me to see a Billy Joel cover band (by the name of Big Shot) at Mulcahy's in Wantagh. If you live in the tri-state area, chances are that you've heard of Mulcahy's. I'm not sure of what it's done to earn such a legendary reputation, but it's unfortunately what's put my hometown on the map. It really is just a big bar by the train station that happens to get decent cover bands and is the cause of many stumbling drunks on the train platform on a weekend night.



Anyways, I thought that it would be fun to spend some quality time with my brother before he leaves for his volunteer teaching position somewhere in the US. The festivities began in our backyard, where he and a bunch of his friends had a beer pong tournament/barbeque. I just participated in the latter of these events. Afterwards, we walked over to Mulcahy's, getting there just as Big Shot was about to start. I have to say that the band was incredible. The lead singer really sounded like Billy Joel, and if you looked down for a minute, you'd forget that it wasn't him singing. The scene though was definitely NOT what I am used to! I struggled with what to order, not being a big fan of beer and feeling silly ordering a real drink in a sea of beer-drinkers. I quickly eliminated my favorite champagne cocktails from consideration. I also quickly realized that myself and my friend Lauren were the oldest people there, save for a handful of middle-aged folks (whom I'm assuming were there strictly for the music) and a wierd guy who resembled Beaker from the Muppets. My brother kept running into people from high school and college, and the whole time, as I stood, staring at these 22-year-olds (and remembering when they were like 8 years old!), all I could think was "man, when did I get so old?!?!"
In all seriousness, I had a great time out with my brother. He introduced me to a few drinks I'd never had before, and I even danced a little! Thanks Paul!

No comments: