Friday, August 24, 2007

Old Westbury Gardens

First, just wanted to apologize for not posting a blog in awhile (thank you Annette for the constructive criticism! - watching my back for me!). I've been pretty busy juggling a few different summer jobs and some other things going on.

As any of you who've checked my blog recently are aware, I've been trying to get to know some of the historical landmarks on Long Island. Last weekend, we had the most beautiful weather; about 68 degrees and sunny - I was able to comfortably wear my jeans, and I actually put on a sweater at one point! I took advantage by visiting the Old Westbury Gardens, about 15 minutes from where I live. The property features several gardens including a rose garden, an English garden, a lily pad pond, and a lake with trails through trees. There's also a mansion on the property, built in the early 1900's to be a home to the Phipps family (I think they were in the shipping business). The mansion is fully restored, and it was pretty amazing to imagine the wealth that this family must have had. There's impressive artwork on the walls (including a portrait by John Singer Sargent) and elaborately-furnished rooms. Like my visits to the other landmarks on Long Island, the place was fairly empty (especially given the weather), and I had a great time practicing my camera skills once again. Enjoy the slide show!

No comments: