Saturday, August 25, 2007

Men in Uniform....

Today, I went with my family to SUNY Maritime College (just a bridge-ride north of me) where my cousin Nicholas had his Cadet Indoctrination Ceremony. Nicholas, who is beginning the SUNY Maritime program, spent two weeks on a ship, with no communication allowed with the outside world, as part of the official 'indoctrination' into the program. In addition to learning how to march and how to obey orders, they learned other survival skills like how to fight a ship fire. The incoming cadets looked like little kids playing dress-up in their uniforms and hats; after all, they're only 17 or 18 years old. We had some trouble spotting Nicholas in the crowd of white uniforms, but eventually found him. And of course, I enjoyed some eye candy looking at the older guys in uniform... Despite the disgusting heat and humidity, the ceremony was beautiful. I really loved the military characteristics: the swordplay, marching in time, "yes sirs'" and salutes all at the same time. It somehow transported me from a chaotic world to one of order and rituals.

No comments: