Sunday, August 5, 2007

Planting Fields Arboretum

Today greeted us with a much-needed respite from the high heat and humidity that had been plaguing us for the past few weeks. I decided to take advantage of the low humidity and low-80's temperature by further cultivating my knowledge of the area around me. I decided to go to the Planting Fields Arboretum, located about 12 miles east of me, in Oyster Bay. Though now an arboretum open to the public, this was once the grounds of the Coe Family. William Robertson Coe was a wealthy insurance broker back at the turn of the century, and built a large estate on the Planting Fields property. The estate is still standing, and is one of few preserved estates of the gold coast. I decided to forgo the tour of the estate today, focusing my first visit on the grounds instead. Covered with wide lawns, pine and holly trails, rose gardens, trellised walkways, and greenhouses, the grounds were absolutely breathtaking. The grounds were fairly empty, with more butterflies than people in my midst. I hope you enjoy my slideshow!




1 comment:

Princess B said...

Beautiful pictures! You definitely have a talented eye for photography.