Sunday, October 7, 2007

A Farewell to the Boys of Summer


It's taken me awhile to overcome the heartbreak associated with the New York Mets' demise this season. For those of you who don't follow the National League, the Mets set a MLB record (and maybe even professional sports record) for worst fall from first place - specifically, losing grounds of being 7 games up on the 2nd place Phillies with 17 games left in the season. At least they set a record - I mean, if you're going to do something THAT bad, you might as well make it memorable, right?

What made it worse is that it was the Mets own horrible playing that caused them to lose! It wasn't due to inhuman efforts by the Phillies. It's almost like the equivalent of the 'nice' break-up. It's so much easier to just HATE someone and put all the blame on someone else!

Lucky for me, the Phillies were swept last night by the Rockies. I could barely watch the playoffs, thinking the whole time, "that should be the Mets." Now, with Phillie out of it, it's all even again and I can once again tune into the playoffs. Sure, my heart will still pang for David Wright, and no team is complete without the speed of Reyes or the heart of LoDuca. So, to my Mets: rest up and have fun golfing for awhile. I'll see you in 2008....

Now, which one of my teams will disappoint me next? I have a feeling it will be the Jets, following their terrible game today....

No comments: