Saturday, February 23, 2008

I'm Still Here...With Too Much Information...

To trace the route of my new computer, it started out in Shanghai, then visited Anchorage, followed by Indiana. It is now sitting in a warehouse about 10 miles west of me in Jamaica, NY. The wait is unbearable, though impressive that a mere 2 days ago, it was on the other side of the world. Why why why did I not spring for the weekend delivery? Now I have to wait until Monday, with it so temptingly close to me. And of course, this begs the question: are we privy to too much information these days? Is it healthy to my psyche that I am able to check my package's whereabouts on FedEx.com every few minutes? Would I be better off if I was completely surprised by its arrival? Computers to track information, caller ID that now pops up on your television, media coverage of minor stories, thermometers to tell us what day to make babies, sizing up countless sources of information before we make any sort of decision --- when does it end? When do we as humans allow ourselves to put our faith and our fate to the test? When can we just BE?

No comments: