Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Trials (-Sized) of Travel

So, I'm going to visit my brother in San Francisco in two weeks. I know that I still have some time to prepare, but with Labor Day, the start of school, and the start of my classes all coming up, the time will fly, so I'm trying to get some things done during my last precious week of summer vacation. Given that I'm flying in and out of the ever-so-efficient JFK airport, and given that I'm only going to CA for 4 days, I decided that it be wisest for me to do carry-on. The problem: Apparently, makers of beauty products and toiletry items have not yet taken advantage of the 3-ounce-or-less market (or, if they have, they certainly aren't doing a good job keeping stores stocked with them!). HELLO COMPANIES - CAN YOU SMELL PROFIT DOLLARS?!?! Toothpaste, shampoo, and deodorant were easy enough to find in CVS's travel bins. But I'm still struggling with: body wash, face wash, face moisturizer, and my hair 'toss lotion'. These items I use on a daily basis and really can't live without. Add to it my hypersensitive skin that can't just take any brand, and you've got a recipe for one frustrated traveler. Granted, I'm not the most low-maintenance person out there, but I'm far from being the highest either. If I'm having these issues, so must thousands of other women. I know that L'Occitane makes travel sizes, but I really don't feel like spending $10 on 3 ounces. And I know that I can buy those little bottles and pour my own stuff in them, but when has any of those ever not leaked all over?! I'm begging for one of two things to happen: 1) the FAA lift this 3-ounce rule - and fight terrorism in a little more of a proactive way, or 2) start lining shelves of places like Sephora and CVS with smaller bottles of more varied products!

No comments: